Temple Greenhouse, Croome Court

 
 
Lakeside temple c.1760 by Robert Adam. Bath stone Roman Doric oblong building with central hexastyle portico with pediment richly carved with giant, basket of flowers. Roman Doric pilaster responds and outer angles. Entablature around. Glass screens between columns of c.1800 now removed. To each side a window with glazing bars, originally niches with statues of Ceres and Flora and above relief carved panels. End gables pedimented with arches recess. Design in Soane Museum dated 1760.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS