THE WEST FRONT OF ELY CATHEDRAL
 
 
The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity was begun in 1083 by Simeon, a Kinsman of William the Conqueror and was virtually completed in its present form by 1350 after which no further major building took place. The nave and transepts have exceptionally fine C12 work, the chancel and west porch are C13 and the central crossing, lantern and the Lady Chapel are C14. The inner porch has some C15} work. Considerable restoration work was done by Sir Gilbert Scott in the mid C19. The Lady Chapel was begun in 1321 and a year later the Norman crossing tower fell. The Octagonal tower which replaced it was designed and built under the sacrsit Alan of Walsingham and the timber-framed lantern which crowns it was built under the direction of William Hurle, one of the most famous carpenters of his age and Chief Carpenter of the King's Works. The masonry of the Cathedral is almost entirely of ashlar faced Barnack limestone. The splendid architecture of the Cathedral and College is the dominating influence of the small scale, mainly C18 and C19 town which clusters closely around
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS