THE CHAPEL AT TYNTESFIELD

   
Very few Victorian houses had private, purpose-built chapels, especially on the scale and grandeur of Tyntesfield's. William Gibbs, who was deeply religious and a passionate supporter of the Oxford or High Church Movement, commissioned the building of the chapel in 1873.

Inspired by the flamboyant Gothic architecture of Sainte Chapelle in Paris, every aspect of the Chapel is decorated; from the beautiful mosaic floor to the flowering brass chandeliers, which is typical of the Oxford or High Church Movement.
Return to Album