ST MARY OF OTTERY
 
 
Consecrated by Bishop Bronescombe in 1260. Altered and added to by Bishop Grandison circa 1330. Mainly Early English. Built like Exeter Cathedral, with 2 towers above transepts. Has nave and aisles and Lady Chapel. Groining later and north aisle is Perpendicular. Very rich roof with pendants. Some fine tombs. Was a Collegiate Church from 1337 to 1545 when it was dissolved. It is an imposing structure of grey stone. The interior was restored drastically mid C19 by Butterfield and others.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS