MARINERS CHAPLEL, GLOUCESTER DOCKS
 
 
Chapel. 1848-9. By John Jaques for a committee managing funds obtained from subscriptions and private benefactions to provide a Church of England extra parochial chapel to minister to sailors and dock workers. Squared rubble in diminishing courses and ashlar details, plain clay tile roof with bands of fishtail tiles. Early Pointed style. Single cell of five bays with ritual orientation reversed. EXTERIOR: offset ashlar plinths, slightly setback buttresses with offsets at the angles and similar but slightly shorter buttresses defining each bay, coped gables with kneelers at either end and on the apex of the east (entry) gable a gabled bellcote with a single bell in the arched opening. In the east wall an arched doorway with moulded jambs flanked on either side by a tall lancet and a pair of shorter lancets above, all with trefoil heads; a small trefoil light in the upper part of the gable. In each bay of the side walls a single lancet, in the west wall three stepped lancets with trefoil tracery heads, small trefoil light in upper part of the gable. INTERIOR: white plastered walls, open queen post roof, original pews, pulpit, altar rail and other fittings; in the three lancets above the altar stained glass by Clayton and Bell and to either side of the lancets large panels in arched frames within crocketed gables with finials, the panels inscribed with the ten commandments; above the lancets a painted ribbon inscribed "PRAISE THE LORD".
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS