CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, LULLINGSTONE

   
Possibly of Norman origin. Visible evidence of C14, C16 and C18. Built of knapped flint with a strip of red brick along the top. Slate roof. Nave and lower chancel possibly Norman altered in early C14. Decorated 2 and 3 light windows, the east window reticulated. Early C16 north chapel of brick and stone dressings. Large early C18 stuccoed south porch and west bell turret by Percyvall Hart who died in 1738. Interior has fine C18 plaster ceilings, window surrounds and chancel arch decorated with alternate mitres and crowns. Fine late perpendicular rood screen with pomegranite of Aragon and rebus of Sir John Pec C18 balustrade, pulpit, benches and black and white marble pavement. C14, C16 and C18 glass by W Peckitt of York. Fine monuments to Sir John Peche (died 1922) a standing wall monument to Sir Percyvall Hart (died 1581). Sir George Hart (died 1587), Percyvall Hart (died 1738) with fine rococo Gothic arcading and Anne Dyke (died 1763) a hanging monument in the manner of Sir Henry Cheeres. The church to Lullingstone Castle.
Return to Album