CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARK, WEST PARLEY

   
WEST PARLEY SZ 09 NE CHURCH LANE (East) 12/75 Church of All Saints 18.3.55 and St Mark - II* Parish church. C12 nave, C14 chancel. C15 north porch, C16 nave extension, C18 features, restoration (and vestry) of 1896 (including the external wall of the chancel). Ironstone rubble walls and buttresses, roughcast to most of the nave, coursed rubble to the chancel and vestry, with plinth, brick bands; ashlar dressings. Roof of tiles, with lower courses of stone slates. Aisleless nave and chancel, north porch and north vestry. The east window is medieval, the nave has three C18 Gothic trefoil-headed lights, the chancel with smaller lights (1896) of similar form. The porch is timber framed on a stone base, with a bargeboard of cusped decoration, and within is a plain Norman doorway and an old door with medieval hinges. The bell turret is boarded, with four gables and an octagonal leaded spirelet. Inside, there is a C14 chancel arch and squints (of uncertain date). The front is a C12 tub with arcading, one cylindrical stem and square base, with a later octagonal bowl at the top. There is a two-decker Jacobean pulpit, with panelled and moulded sides, and a sounding board of the C18. The medieval roof has exposed arch-braces (once hidden by a plaster barrel vault, as restored in the chancel), the former carved bosses, removed when the roof was restored in 1933, being exhibited in a glass case. There are box pews in pine, of 1841. RCHM
Return to Album