LOW LIGHT LIGHTHOUSE REMAINS AT LOWESTOFT
 
 
The first two lighthouses in Lowestoft were built in 1609 on the foreshore and candlelit, to give warning of the dangerous sandbanks around the coast. These were the first lighthouses constructed by Trinity House. The Low Light was discontinued in 1706 following sea encroachment, but re-established in 1730 in a form that could be easily moved in response to further changes to the Stamford Channel and shoreline. It was discontinued in August 1923.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS