Reg Haskell Photography

Greenway House, Kingswear

   
Greenway House (listed grade II*) comprises a three-storey central block of stuccoed rubble-stone construction under a hipped slate roof, flanked by symmetrically placed single-storey wings. The south facade of the central block is relieved by a single-storey porch supported by Tuscan columns, while the south facades of the east and west wings have loggias similarly supported by Tuscan columns. A service wing extends to the north of the central range. The main block was constructed in the late C18 by Roope Harris Roope, replacing a late C16 House, Greenway Court, which had been built on a site between the present house and the stables by Otho Gilbert. This house, which is shown next to the new mansion in a painting of c 1788 by William Payne, was demolished by Edward Elton soon after he purchased the estate in 1791. The east and west wings were built for Elton in 1815, while a further wing containing a billiard room, which was added to the east of the House in 1892, was demolished by Agatha Christie and her architect, Guilford Bell, in 1938.
(ref: NHLE)
Return to Album