Reg Haskell Photography

Cadhay

   
. Cl6 on site of earlier mansion. A very fine stone mansion. 2 storey with attics. Slate roof. North front has 2 stepped gables, each with external chimney with offsets. 2 similar chimneys on inner sides flanking 2-storey slightly projecting porch with stepped gable. Pedimented doorhood. Door opening has rusticated surround. Many alterations were made by an owner, Peere Williams who bought the house in 1736. To him are attributed the many Georgian features. East front has 2 flanking 3-storey bays with gables, finials and stone mullion windows. In centre is a 5-sided bay containing the stairs. Garden front has 2 gables with external chimneys, and in centre a 2-storey porch with 3-centred arches each side of the door. In middle of building is an enclosed court, the "Court of the Sovereigns ." Over the doors in each Side is a carved figure, Henry VIII and his 3 children, each standing in a very fine ribbed canopy with pilasters. Inside, the hall has been roofed over. The ceiling has never been removed as it is a very fine one, coved with plaster decorated centre. There is a good carved stone fireplace. The beams of the hall can be seen in the room above. The hammer beams have gone but the semi-circular principals are moulded. The Elizabethan gallery remains on the 1st floor at the south side of the house
Return to Album