A superb early C16 timber-framed building with plaster infill (circa 1529). It was the hall of the Guild of Corpus Christi, founded in 1529, and one of the 4 medieval guilds of Lavenham. It is one of the finest examples of half timbering in this part of the country. In the C18 and C19 it was used as the Bridewell and workhouse and was restored by Sir Cuthbert Quilter (circa 1911). It is now owned by the National Trust. All the timber-framing is very heavy and closely spaced. Roofs tiled. At the south-west end there is a cross wing with a jettied gable on a moulded and carved bressumer and a return front on Lady Street. Two storeys. A fine two storeyed gabled porch projects on the north-west front, with heavy carved corner posts and doorcase. The upper storey is jettied on both fronts on a richly carved bressumer which extends across the whole building. At the north-west corner there is a heavy corner post carved with a figure with a lance. The windows have all been restored to their original pattern, mostly 5 or 6 light shallow oriel windows with moulded sills, the upper windows are mullioned and the ground storey windows are mullioned and transomed, all with lattice leaded lights. The interior has heavy moulded and carved timber and much fine detail. There is a large chimney stack on the cross wing with sawtooth shafting.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS