These stand due north of the house and form a complete courtyard. They were built by Sir Cecil Bisshopp, the sixth baronet (1700-1778). Stone rubble with ashlar quoins. The front facing south has a centre portion of 3 s. with a high four-centred carriage arch and one w.on each side of it on the ground and first floor, the second floor above the arch having 3 ws. Cornice with corbel heads and parapet. Pyramidal tiled roof surmounted by a square stuccoed turret, with an octagonal clock face on the north end south sides and a cupola with a leaden dome and weather vane over it. On each side of this centre portion is a section of 2 s and 3 w with a slate roof, and beyond this on each side an end portion of higher elevation having 2 s and 1 w each, with a cornice and parapet over. Casement ws on cemented architrave surrounds with cement-coated mullions and transoms. The front facing east is a single storey building with a hipped slate roof. At each side of it are 4 window bays containing round-headed blank arches. In the middle is a portion containing 4 square-headed casement windows with a corbelled chimney in the centre. Over this centre portion is a cornice and parapet with 2 cartouches, each surmounted by a raised panel with a ball cap over. There is a further plain block on the north and a wall on the west which completes the court-yard.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS