PORT ELIOT HOUSE
 
 
Country house in a landscaped park. Contains a medieval core from the Priory of St Germans; the early C18 building, largely rebuilt and refaced by John Soane 1804-6, and with a service wing of 1829 by H. Harrison. Later C19 alterations. Rubble with stone dressings. Slate roofs behind embattled parapets. Plan: Entrance front to west, with the 2 parallel service wings of 1829 projecting to front left, enclosing a small service courtyard, with a carriageway at the front. The main house by Soane has rooms arranged in 2 ranges, with the saloon and drawing room facing north (at the left side) with the circular drawing room by Soane to rear left; stair hall between the entry hall and the saloon to left. Other rooms facing the south, include the billiard room and dining room. Gothic style. Exterior: The entrance front is of 2 storeys on plinth and 6 bays, with embattled parapet over coved cornice. All windows paired 8-pane sashes with hood mould, first floor string course. First floor 2 central windows have Gothic glazing bars. Central porte-cochere is of 1829 by Harrison and has 4-centred arch and hood mould, inner panelled double doors with moulded architrave. 4 bays to left in greenstone coursed square rubble, 2 bays to right in sandstone. Service wing projects to left, 2 storeys and 5 bays with buttresses and embattled parapet, paired sashes with hood moulds. Right side has polygonal tower to each end with pointed arched 12-pane sashes. 1:3:5:3:1 bays, with central 5 bays broken forward. All windows sashes, with cambered brick heads at ground floor, 4-centred arches at first floor. Central French windows and French window to left. Centre bays have modillion cornice. 3 bays to right retain 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors. Low screen wall attached to left, with pair of square plinths and wrought iron gates across, urns over piers. 5 granite steps leading to the entrance front, with splayed wrought iron railings to each side. Left side has bow to left of the circular drawing room. Rendered central range of 4:3:2 bays with central bay broken forward and embattled parapet. Bow has blind 9- pane sash at basement level, 12-pane sash at ground floor and 9-pane sash at first floor. The central 3 bays of the centre range are in rusticated granite ashlar of the C18 at basement, with central round-arched doorway with console keystone, round- arched 6-pane sash to right and left with splayed glazing bars and cornice over. All windows sashes of varied sizes. Service wing projecting to right, in 1:3:2 bays, with sashes at basement, ground and first floors. Rear is in 3:1:2 bays; central canted bay through 2 storeys, with 15-pane sash at ground floor with Gothic glazing bars, first floor 9-pane sash. Sashes in bays to right and left with brick surrounds. To right, the bow of the circular ballroom with sashes at basement, ground and first floor. Interior: All features of interior remain as described in sources. The park was landscaped by Repton, Red Book dated 1793. Sources: Hussey, C.: Country Life, October 15, 22 and 29, 1948.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS