Market Cross, now town hall. c1520, altered 1654; hall restored, external staircase and gable ends rebuilt 1854-55 by RM Phipson. MATERIALS: timber-framed with brattished middle rails and arched and tension braces to first floor frame. Ground floor infill mostly C19 herringbone or plain brick nogging, or flint and ashlar; first floor infill mostly C17 brick. South gable and external stack rebuilt in flint and ashlar on ground floor, brick on upper floor and with brick decorated twin flues. Plain tile roof with pierced timber bargeboards and finial to north gable. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, the upper floor jettied. West front has two 4-centred doorways and an arcade of four 4-centred arches formerly serving an open market within, now fitted with 2-light lattice casements. Timber-framed external staircase with pentice roof leads to plain doorway on first floor towards north end. Other openings are three 3-light mullioned casement windows. First floor jetty bessummer is carved with C19 leaf trail decoration. On east front, flint and ashlar walling at south end is pierced by two lancets. Elsewhere on ground floor windows are two 3-light and four 2-light mullioned and transomed casements. First floor lit by two 3-light mullioned and transomed casements. Jetty bessummer decorated with ribbon trail carving. North gable wall has one 7-light mullioned and transomed casement window with lattice glazing on first floor, beneath bessummer carved with C19 vine trail decoration. INTERIOR: ground floor consists of 3 rooms, each with 4-centred doorways with carvings in the spandrels. Heavy chamfered bridging beams, and similar cruciform bridging beams in north room. Jowled principal studs to timber-frame. Upper hall with 4 bays of chamfered tie beams on arched braces. Double struts to principals, 2 tiers of passing braces, the upper ones on arched windbraces. Collars and upper collars. South chimney-piece removed for restoration at time of Review
Return to Album