ICKWORTH HOUSE

   
Large country mansion, begun 1795 by Francis Sandys after designs by Mario Asprucci, for Frederick 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry, who died 1803 before completion of house. Work completed 1821-1829 for Frederick William Hervey, 5th Earl and 1st Marquis of Bristol. Stuccoed brick; slated and leaded roofs. Central rotunda 105 ft. high with domed and balustraded top; central entrance portico of 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high, supporting pediment. Rotunda encircled by lower order of Ionic pilasters and upper order of Corinthian pilasters through 2 storeys; 2 giant bas-relief friezes by the Carabelli brothers after Flaxman's illustrations of Horner. Segmental 1-storey corridors on both flanks, linking with East and West wings 2 storeys high, each with central pediment on 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high. The total frontage is 625ft. Interior fittings mainly complete by 1830, including fine marble fireplace in Library, Scagliola columns in Library and Entrance Hall, and coved ceilings in corridors. The Pompeian Room decorated by J.D. Crace in 1879. Remodelling of main staircase in rotunda and of East wing by Reginald Blomfield, 1909. Now owned by the National Trust; for illustrations and description, see their Official Guide.
Return to Album