HIGH GLANAU MANOR
 
 
The house was built in the Arts and Crafts style in 192223 by the architect Eric Francis, of Chepstow, for Henry Avray Tipping. Avray Tipping was an architectural writer, the editor of Country Life magazine, and a garden designer among whose friends were Gertrude Jekyll and Harold Peto. Tipping lived at Mounton House near Chepstow, but sought a new home for his retirement.

The front of the house is of two storeys, with three slate-hung gables between two chimneystacks. On the upper entrance side there is a broad slate roof with a pair of gabled turrets. The house is set above formal gardens, with stone-walled terraces and an octagonal pond. The gardens were created by Tipping between 1922 and 1929. Several cottages around the estate were built by Francis for Tipping at about the same time. Avray Tipping moved to London in 1930, and died in 1933.

The house was given Grade II* listed building status on 22 February 1989.[4] It is privately owned. The gardens are open to the pu
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS