COTHAY MANOR
 
 
Manor House. Circa 1480, enlarged early C17, restored and enlarged 1926-7. Red sandstone random rubble rendered in part, Ham stone dressings, steeply pitched plain tile roofs, coped verges gable ends, external stepped stone stacks right and left returns and on rear elevation. Diagonal buttresses North wing, stepped buttresses on hall elevation, raking buttresses right return on porch. "H"-plan typical medieval open hall layout gabled 2-storey porch attached to South cross wing with solar first floor North wing, asymmetrical "L"-shaped North and South wings early C20 incorporating C17 outbuildings. Main block, 2-storey and attic, 1:1:2:1 bays, all Tudor arched heads except for ground floor North wing, 2-light mullion window at South gable end, lancet. North gable end, first floor 3-light mullion window with hood mould, two 4-light mullioned and transomed windows lighting hall, 4-light mullioned and transomed windows, wooden mullioned and transomed window below, South wing 4-light mullion window. Gabled 2-storey porch, first floor Tudor arched head single light mullion window with hood mould, moulded arched opening below. C16 crested lead guttering on South wing. Rear elevation of North wing has unusual 3-light rose window in gable end. Interior: very fine collection of late C15 early C16 features in solar and hall, latter with unusual survival of high lath and plaster screen to galley with unglazed 4-light opening, moulded bressumer, plank and muntin screen below. Early C17 pannelling; carved overmantel and ornamented plasterwork in C17 dining room; anti-clockwise newel stairs to solar and inserted early C18 dog leg stair, in North wing addition. Outstanding example of late medieval hall house
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS