CHIDDINGSTON CASTLE

   
C17 house, altered and extended in Cl8. Gothicised circa 1800. Further Gothicising took place after 1829, done by Henry Kendal (designs exhibited Royal Academy 1838). Main north front of 3 storeys 5 windows. Coursed freestone with corbelled battlements. Square towers at left; and octagonal towers flanking centre bay. Windows in chamfered reveals under hoodmoulds, some with modern bars and some with wooden tracery. In centre and on ground floor windows stone-mullioned with tracery. Centre traceried double door in many-chamfered arch. Back view shows clear distinction between 2 periods of Gothicising. The earlier part has pointed windows with wood tracery bars; the later square headed windows with stone tracery. Inside several C17 features remain, notably staircase (although with Cl8 balusters inserted) and panelling. Large archaeological and Oriental collections on display. Formerly the home of the Streatfeild family.
Return to Album