CHAVENAGE HOUSE_04_14

   
Manor house and attached chapel. House mainly of 1576, built by Edward Stephens on site of older house, enlarged in C17, altered in C18 by Rev Richard Stephens, enlarged to south west in 1904-5 by John Micklethwaite. Random coursed rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate roof, scattered stone ridge and end stacks with ashlar flues and moulded cornices, several set diagonally in pairs and with one polygonal flue with carved cap immediately left of porch and one very large stepped external stack on north side. Core of E shape, 2 storeys and attic, with central porch on east side, additional small wings to north and south probably of C17, and large south west cross wing of early C20. Porch leads into open screens passage with hall to left and kitchen and buttery to right through Tudor-arched door. Scattered fenestration, mostly hollow moulded 2-light stone mullions or single lights, with square hoodmoulds, and with some arched or cusped lights possibly originating from ruins of Horsley Priory. To left of porch, 2 large 3-light 3-tiered stone mullion and transom windows with arched lights and some stained glass, lighting great hall. Porch has 2-light trefoils with quatrefoil and hoodmould, above square- headed doorway with lozenge-carved lintel and square hoodmould with diamond stops and initials and date "ES 1576". Hipped 2-light leaded casement dormer to each side of porch. Small projecting gabled section in angle to left facing central gable on wing to right. South side has castellated bays and parapet added in C18, and very large single storey bow window to south gable end of 1904 wing, with 5-light stone mullion and transom over, which otherwise has 2 or 3-light stone fenestration on west side. Interior: former open hall, now with ceiling, with altered minstrels' gallery over C16 screen, Renaissance style fireplace of c1680; adjoining dining room has panelling dated 1627 and contemporary Gothic fireplace. Upper rooms contain Mortlake Tapestries of early C17. Chapel: tower built as folly c1700, two stages with stepped diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and stairvice, heavily ornamented west side with sculptured niches. Main body of c1800 linking it to house. Interior not accessible. The house has strong associations with Cromwell and the Civil War and much is unaltered since the C16 and C17. (David Verey, Buildings of Enqland - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979; Country Life, Vol 29, 1911; house guide book)
Return to Album