CHARTWELL

   
C20 house of red brick with stone basement. Architect Philip Tilden. Two storeys, attic and basement. Six windows in main block, three in left canted bay with parapet, two at right in slightly projecting gabled section. High pitched tiled roof with tall chimneys. Brick mullioned and transomed casement windows. Elaborate carved stone doorcase holds double door of old oak. The house incorporates fragments of an older building; C16 or C17 brickwork visible in places on external walls.

Chartwell was the home of Sir Winston Churchill from 1922 until his death in 1965, and contains a collection of personal possessions and relics. It was presented to the National Trust during his life time by a group of his friends. Listed for historical reasons.
Return to Album