BUSCOT PARK
 
 
. Built about 1780 for Edward Loveden Townsend, altered in the 1860s, altered and extended in 1889 and finally reduced in size and given E and W Pavilions (q.v.) in 1934-6. No architects are recorded for the first 2 phases of building, but the 1889 extensions were made by Sir Ernest George whose partner, Harold Peto, was landscaping the grounds at that time, and the final phase of reconstruction was directed by Geddes Hyslop. This reinstated the restrained classical lines of the original 1780 design. Finely jointed ashlar, rusticated base, dentil cornice and a hipped slate roof with E and W and ridge stone stacks. 3 storeys and attic, 9 bays. S front of 9 bays with 2 dormers. The 3 centre bays have slight projection and a pediment with carved floral enrichment, a wide flight of steps to central glazed doors with cornice head at first floor level. Modern sashes and blind boxes to all windows. The N front has 3 central bays flanked by segmental bows of 3 windows each the whole height of the building. 7 dormer windows. E and W fronts have 3 bay projections and pediments with lunettes. The interiors were all redesigned and redecorated in the 1934-6 reconstruction in a mixed neo-Classical manner incorporating wine very fine original C18 chimney-pieces. A series of paintings entitled 'the Briar Rose' by Edward Burne Jones that were acquired for the Drawing Room by Alexander Henderson in 1890 were installed under the artist's direction and in specially designed frames in the Saloon where they still hang.
Return to Album
RSS: RSS Mash | Blog | Photos RSS