Country House. 1718-1729, attributed to Gibbs by the Rev. Daniel Lysons and Samuel Lysons in Magna Brittania: Vol III, Cornwall, 1814; master Mason John Moyle of Exeter. Addition made by Sir Reginald Pole-Carew, removed after 1945. The house has a brick carcass faced in Pentewan stone ashlar, with hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips. Rectangular double depth plan; at the centre of the south front a large entrance hall with arcaded area screening it from the stair hall to the right. The hall is entered through the mid C19 porte cochere. The library is to the left of the stair hall and the saloon is the central room on the north front. A mid C19 addition was made to the east side, now demolished; basement service rooms remain, screened by a wall along the north front, erecting a lower service courtyard to east. South front of 2 storeys with basement and attic, on plinth, with bandcourse, rusticated pilasters to sides, 3:3:3: bays. The central 3 bays are broken forward with pediment and cornice, all windows 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and first arches with voussoirs; 3 dormers to right and left of pediment, all gabled, central ones with segmental pediments, all with sashes. The basement has three 2- light casements to right and left, also with first arches with voussoirs. Central single storey porte cochere, with Tuscan columns; this was added in the mid C19. Within the porte cochere, a recessed round-arched doorway, moulded, with keystone and imposts, half-glazed door with fanlight, French windows on each side. The east side is rendered, with pilasters, band course and cornice, 3 sashes at first floor and 3 similar dormers, C19 additions at ground floor level with porch, casement windows and flat roofs. The west side is 5 bays wide, all windows sashes with central half-glazed door with 9-pane overlight. As other facades, with plinth, band course, pilasters, cornice, 3 dormers; basement has two 2-light casements to left and raised terrace to right with wrought iron screen. Attached to right, wall forming rear of arcade for forecourt buildings, with blind window. Fine set of 4 lead rainwater heads with downpipes. The north front is of 3:3:3 bays, with 3 central bays broken forward under pediment, all windows sashes. Central bay has window right and left of doorway, a round-arched opening with moulded arch, imposts and keystone, panelled and glazed double doors with fanlights, pilasters and cornice carried forward over pediment. 6 dormers as to south. 4 rows of rendered and lined out stacks with caps. Lead rainwater heads to sides of central bays. The basement storey has three 2-light casements to right and left, with central flight to 4 granite steps, with low flanking walls, wrought iron screen along walls, about one metre high. This forms a terrace, with an archway underneath to each side. Interior Very fine unalteredearly C18 interior. The hall and principal rooms on the ground floor are panelled in 6ak, the first floor rooms panelled in pine, some painted. The staircase is in the inner hall, open well with barley-twist turned balusters and columnar newels, retaining the original light fittings of glass globes on shaped brass arms. Marble chimneypieces to each room, of different coloured marble, bolection-moulded. The central corridor at first floor is also panelled, with service stair at each end giving access to the attic storey.
Return to Album